Monday, December 31, 2007

"Peace, be still."

These past few days I've been studying the Book of Mark in the New Testament KJV. I read some passages that gave me great comfort in today's troubled world. I'll explain:

About a week ago my husband was talking with me about the difficulties his job is facing because he works in the housing market. I am sure that there are more people out there than just us who have felt the effects of the economy and have had a little anxiety over it all. The comfort I found was; the other morning I opened my scriptures to Mark Chapter 4, there I read the account of the disciples being tossed about on the stormy sea. When the storm becomes so terrifying the disciples believe they are all about to perish, they turn to Jesus who was sleeping and cry out, "Master, carest thou not that we perish?" The Savior stands up, stretches forth His mighty hand, rebukes the wind and calms the troubled waters, "peace, be still." Instantly there is calm and the storm has ceased. He then turns to His disciples and asks, "Why are ye so fearful, how is it that ye have no faith?"

When I read this, I thought of our financial situation with my husbands work in jeopardy. We have been faithful in the council to stay out of debt by our church leaders, we have been faithful in being wise with our purchases and not spending more than we earn, we pay an honest tithing, we do our best to practice frugality and self control. But even so, the financial storms still beat upon us from time to time. It is easy to get a little fearful.

When I read what Jesus said to his disciples after calming the stormy sea, I felt it spoke directly to my heart about my husbands job, "Alicia, why are ye so fearful, how is it that ye have no faith?" A great calmness filled my heart and I know that we will be fine. The Lord has never failed me. I have always had sufficient for my needs. I have always had shelter over my head, a place to sleep, clothes to wear and food to eat. I testify that the promise found in Malachi 3:10 is true, "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

Along these same lines I also share the scripture found in Psalms 23:4 "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me." I love this because the rod is symbolic of God's word and the staff is symbolic of God's power. So basically it is God's word (the scriptures, the teachings of Jesus Christ, the voice of the Holy Ghost, the teachings of God's prophets from Adam down to the present time) and God's power (most especially the redeeming power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, the power of the priesthood, blessings and ordinances) is that which comforts me. This is why I shall fear no evil... because I know in whom I trust... I trust in my Father in Heaven and His Son, Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

Happy New Year. I found you at blog village. I was hoping you would be interested in submitting a post to the upcoming blog village carnival: Much Ado about Money. For more information you can stop by my blog. Family Adventures which is listed at blog village or there is a banner about the carnival at blog village.

This post would be an excellent choice for the carnival. Thank you for sharing, what an inspirational post.

Marshamlow said...

Thanks for submitting this post Alicia, the carnival will be posted on my blog in a few minutes.