Saturday, January 26, 2008

Faith of a Child

My oldest boy has been learning to pray on his own. These are some cute experiences I have had with him concerning prayer:

I couldn't find my keys to the car and we all had an appointment we were late for. I looked everywhere and was begining to lose my patience too... I went outside to buckle my kids in thier seats anyway. I got my younger two strapped in and called to my oldest to hurry. I walked back in the house, frustrated, because now I not only had to find my keys but I had to find my son as well. Impatiently, I searched for my keys while telling my oldest to hurry. Then I saw him... he was kneeling down by the couch and stood up with a big smile on his face... excitedly he said, "Mommy, I know right where your keys are. I said a prayer and now I know. I asked Heavenly Father to help me and He did." Then he ran straight to where my keys were and handed them proudly to me. "See I knew Heavenly Father would help me. I knew it." It was humbling for me.

My son loves to pray about everything. I told him how proud I was of his faith. "Never lose that faith," I said. He responded, "Ya, I just know Heavenly Father will help me with anything I ask... He always does. I have really great faith!"
"Yes, you do" I said, "And I am so proud of you. You are a very good example to me."

The other night, for dinner my son gave the prayer on the food... this was his prayer:

"Heavenly Father, thank Thee for this food and for our blessings. Thank Thee for Jesus... and... please bless me that when I go back to school it won't be winter anymore... that next week at morning recess I will go outside and it will be 90 degrees..... And Heavenly Father, I know that You hear my prayers even if they aren't always answered as I expect them to be.... in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

No wonder Jesus taught:
"Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." - Matt. 18:3
"Suffer the little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven." - Matt. 9:14

No comments: