Friday, March 28, 2008

What are you afraid of?

It seems like every time I turn on the news, all I ever hear about is war, murders, robbery, abuse, lewdness, violence, cheating, fraud, lies, and destruction.... to focus on this can weigh quite heavily on my heart and be quite depressing. Especially when I look at my children and think, "If things are this bad now, what kind of world are they going to be living in when they have children of their own?" It's a frightening thought.

This morning I was reading in Luke 21:26. Here it says that in the last days, men's hearts will fail them because of fear. "Fear" I took an interest in this because of the fear I have felt at times in my own heart. So, I began looking up all the different verses on "fear" that stood out to my mind and wrote them down. These are what I found- these comfort me:

"And the Lord appeared unto him the same night, and said, I am the God of Abraham thy father: fear not, for I am with thee..."- Gen. 26:24

"Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them."- 2Kings 6:16

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"- Psalms 27:1

"The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe."- Prov. 29:25

"For the Lord God will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed."- Isaiah 50:7

"Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings."- Isaiah 51:7

"And I will set up shepherds over them which shall feed them: and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall they be lacking, saith the Lord."- Jeremiah 23:3

"And he (Jesus) arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?"- Mark 4:40

"Speak the word without fear."- Philip. 1:14

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."- 2Tim 1:7

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear:"- 1John 4:18

"you should not have feared man more than God."- Doctrine and Covenants 3:7


"Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward. Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock (the gospel of Jesus Christ), they cannot prevail... Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not."- Doctrine and Covenants 6:33,34&36

"... if ye are prepared ye shall not fear. "- Doctrine and Covenants 38:30

"strip yourselves from jealousies and fears, and humble yourselves before me [Jesus Christ]."- Doctrine and Covenants 67:10


Now the final scripture... this one I share last because I jotted down some additional thoughts that go along with explaining this one:

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."- Matt 10:28

This is what came to my mind...
What are the things that can destroy the body but not the Spirit?:
Sickness, Illness, Disease
Natural Disasters, Plagues, Famine,
Accidents, Shootings, Terrorists, Death, Etc.

Now what are the things that destroy our body and our Spirit, and create a literal hell of a life?
Ungratefulness, Jealousy, Greed, Hatred
Selfishness, Lust, Arrogance,
Lies, Hypocrisy, Gossip, Bitterness
Laziness, Self-righteousness, Etc.

The difference between these two forms of destruction is that the first are ones we don't necessarily have any control over....
But the second, (those things we should really fear)- we have complete control over. Each day, every moment we choose whether or not we let these things reside in our hearts or cast them out.
And I wittiness to you that you are not alone in overcoming these things.

Through daily prayer and seeking for God's help to keep these things out of your life, I promise you the riches of Eternity... and peace in this life here and now, no matter what is going on in the news. Your family life will be better, your workplace will be better, relationships with neighbors will be better.

The scriptures bring me so much comfort. I am grateful for something solid to stand on in the midst of a raging sea. I feel anchored and safe... yes... safe, even in this world. Isn't that wonderful!

God Bless You!
Alicia

No comments: