Monday, June 30, 2008

True Texas Mormons

Whew! It's been a while since I've blogged last. We are finally settled into our new apartment and now I have a little time to write..... I don't know if people even really read my blog. But it's all good... It's just my little place to share what's on my mind.

This is what I was thinking today.....
With all the recent news of the "Texas Raid"...One thing I find interesting is how many people confuse my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints with the FLDS church. They think we are like the people who follow Warren Jeffs and other polygamist sects. But we are not them! And they are not Mormons!

Sometimes it can be frustrating to see the news media muttle things up so much that they make no clear distinction of who we really are. Well let me tell you that we are normal, every-day people, we don't wear our hair in a bun with old style dresses, we are not encouraged to "hide" from the world, our women and children are not suppressed.... And we most definitely do NOT practice polygamy! (That would be like assuming all those who believed in the Old Testament practiced polygamy today just because Abraham, Issac and Jacob did.)

I wish the media showed how much the leaders of our church speak very highly of women and encourage them to get as much education as they possibly can. We are encouraged to think for ourselves, to study out of the best books and most importantly we are taught to prayerfully study the Scriptures and ask God for personal direction. We are taught that the Savior is the only way to Salvation. We are taught to value our families and as mothers to take pride in nurturing and raising children.

In my church the man is not above the woman, nor the woman above the man.... we are a "help meet" to each other (a help meet is an "equal partner" "And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him." Genesis 2:18 . Husband and wife are to be equals and walk side by side in love, loyalty and respect. Any kind of abuse is absolutely not tolerated in my church. We are taught to follow the Savior's example of love, gentleness, understanding, humility and kindness. Victims of abuse are encouraged to get help and the abusers are strongly urged to repent.

I found these videos of of what some "Texas Mormons" really look like. ***Remember to pause my music player at the bottom of the page before viewing the videos- so there is no sound conflict.

I love The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I know that it is true, I know we have a living prophet on the earth today, President Thomas S. Monson. The Book of Mormon is another Testimony that Jesus is the Christ, the Savior of us all... it is a companion and witness to the truths taught in the Bible. I love the Bible too and know that it is the Divine word of God! I know that Joseph Smith was called of God to restore the gospel of Jesus Christ in it's fullness, with all the saving ordinances taught by the Savior Himself and the power to perform these ordinances by one who holds the Priesthood.

I know these things and I can't deny them. However, I will not argue with others or try to make others believe the same as me. I respect others views and they are free to share them with me as I hope to be free to share with them. If someone really would rather not talk about these things, it's fine... we can agree to disagree agreeably. Like I said in the beginning of this post, I don't know that their are very many who really even read my blog... but for those who do... this is me! You cannot separate me from my religion because my religion is in my blood, it's a part of me- it helps me come to know God and follow my Savior.

As always...God bless you!

Alicia

No comments: