Tuesday, September 2, 2008

For the Record

I know this will surprise some of you and it might be hard to believe... but here it goes..... I'm NOT perfect!... I know, I know... it's a shocker :)

Seriously though, sometimes I worry that my blog might paint the wrong picture of me. What I mean is... because of the nature of my posts, one might be led to think that I am always so positive, so spiritual or that I live the gospel so naturally.

Just for the record, I'm not a perfect mom, I'm not a perfect wife, I don't have the perfect marriage, and I don't have perfect children. I know it's hard to believe... heh heh. But if you were to live in my house for one week you would come to this conclusion on your own very, very quickly.

The reason I try to keep my posts positive and uplifting is because I have set up my blog with the intent to share the gospel, to share my testimony and not so much as a diary of my life.

This last week was really rough. To make a long story short: my husband and I had some heated arguments, I lost my temper with my kids on several occasions and the whole week I felt depressed and pessimistic.

... All I can say is, I couldn't make it through any of these rough times if it weren't for prayer and calling upon God for strength. I am so thankful for the Atonement, that God has mercifully provided a way for me to be cleansed from sin. I am thankful for His power to heal wounded relationships and bind up the broken hearted. I am thankful my husband and I have a habit of kneeling together in prayer every morning and every night. It helps us resolve conflicts much quicker this way.

I draw strength from prayer, hope from the scriptures, guidance from living Prophets and Apostles, comfort from Priesthood blessings, peace from the promises of the temple and joy from my Savior. My list could go on and on and on. But I feel so richly blessed to have the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ .... I can't imagine my life without it!

I relate to the words of the Prophet, Nephi when he was weighed down with discouragement:

"Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.
Do not anger again because of mine enemies. Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions.
Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen. " - 2 Nephi 4: 28-30 & 35

God bless you my friends,

Alicia

2 comments:

Tony said...

The fact that you are striving to be the best you can for yourself and your family by using the ways the Lord has provided for you indicates to me that you are a very strong woman, regardless of the day-to-day stresses we all have (no one's perfect, as you clearly evidenced), and I totally respect you for that. Hope all is well with you, and my prayers are with you and your family. Thank you for taking the time to manage this blog so that people like us can gain insights from it! It is much appreciated.

Alicia said...

Thank you for your prayers Tony! Things are much better this week. As I said in my post, I am so thankful that it is a habit for my husband and I to kneel together in prayer every morning and night. We take turns praying outloud for each other... in doing this, the Spirit of the Lord is imeadiately invited and conflicts are resolved so much quicker. A good marriage takes hard work, and swallowing alot of pride at times.... and so does proper parenting... it's not easy... but it sure helps when your companion has the same righteous goals as you. I'm happy to say that mine does.

Thank you again Tony for your comment and prayers. It is much appreciated!