Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Small Christmas???


My husband and I are living the student life with four kids. Money isn't easy to come by especially with the economy the way it is. Our Christmas gifts to our kids are simple this year...just garage sale stuff. They each get two things. Our kids don't mind though, we've never cared to make presents an issue with them... and they are always happy with what they get. I don't want sympathy. In fact I don't feel like there is ANYTHING to be sympathetic about. Presents mean NOTHING to me.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, the poet, wrote: “Rings and jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts. The only [true] gift is a portion of thyself.”

President David O. McKay said: “True happiness comes only by making others happy—the practical application of the Savior’s doctrine of losing one’s life to gain it. In short, the Christmas spirit is the Christ spirit, that makes our hearts glow in brotherly love and friendship and prompts us to kind deeds of service.
“It is the spirit of the gospel of Jesus Christ, obedience to which will bring ‘peace on earth,’ because it means—good will toward all men.”

So are we poor? It depends on how you look at it. Our friends from India and Mongolia would say we live like royalty. And I would have to agree. I feel very, very rich!!! We have running water, heating, food in our cupboards and a fridge.. we have a fridge!, we have indoor plumbing, electricity, a stove, a computer, we have enough clothes to last us a couple of weeks and we have beds to sleep in....

...But even with all this stuff this is not the biggest reason I feel so rich.



I am rich because I have a husband who shares my same values and who is my best friend. We have four healthy, beautiful children who are worth more than all the money in the world. And most of all we have the true Gospel of Jesus Christ to guide us in our lives. This Gospel is the glue that holds my marriage together, my family together... it holds me together. I have a testimony that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is God's true church on the earth today. I am so rich!! All my needs are met and I want for nothing...

I have never had a Christmas that has been "small"... and with the Gospel in my life I never will.

And nothing makes me happier than to share this treasure that so graciously blesses my life!

2 comments:

Jenelle said...

I love that picture! It really captures the personalities of your kids. You have such a sweet and humble spirit about you, Alicia that I have always admired. Merry Christmas, my friend! Call me and we can do something next week since the kids are out of school. =)

Alicia said...

Yeah we need to get together while school is out... does the 29th work alright for you during the day. I'll call you ok. I look forward to seeing you.