Friday, April 10, 2009

Sound Advice

I love to listen to speeches by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. I found this one today called "How do I love thee?" http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=326

Sometimes I find myself asking the opposite, "How do they love me?".... This question only brings self pity, jealousy, hurt, anger and ultimately misery. This question is a black hole collapsing in on it's self... because that's it's only concern. And who can love a parasite?

I have no control over how others love, how others show kindness, how others forgive, how thoughtful others are. I can set an example... but the way another person shows love is totally up to them.

However I do have control over how I love... "How do I.... How do I.... love thee?"

Here's just a few bits and pieces from Elder Holland's talk. I think this will be a good one for me to listen to over and over again. It's sound advice for me.

"The first element of divine love--pure love--... is kindness, its selfless quality, its lack of ego and vanity and consuming self-centeredness. "Charity suffereth long, and is kind, [charity] envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own"...
... True love blooms when we care more about another person than we care about ourselves. That is Christ's great atoning example for us, and it ought to be more evident in the kindness we show, the respect we give, and the selflessness and courtesy we employ in our personal relationships.

Love is a fragile thing, and some elements in life can try to break it. Much damage can be done if we are not in tender hands, caring hands. To give ourselves totally to another person, as we do in marriage, is the most trusting step we take in any human relationship. It is a real act of faith--faith all of us must be willing to exercise.

....In all that Christ was, He was not ever envious or inflated, never consumed with His own needs. He did not once, not ever, seek His own advantage at the expense of someone else. He delighted in the happiness of others, the happiness He could bring them. He was forever kind."- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles

No comments: