Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"Do you pray to Allah?"


I help watch my friend Meher's little girl almost every day. Every time before we eat we always say a prayer. One day my little friend, Lamis said, "I don't pray like you, I pray to Allah." (Her family practices Islam.) I said, "It's ok Lamis you don't have to pray with us." I could see the question in her eyes..."Who do you pray to?" .......I answered, "Lamis I know we don't pray in the exact same way but we do pray to the same God, so I guess you could say we pray to Allah too."


That was pretty much all I said to her but I have since thought about that situation....


Allah means "One true God." God is the Father of all our spirits, He is also the Father Who Jesus Christ prayed to. Now when we pray we don't address Him as "Allah", we say "Father in Heaven". And we close our prayers "in the name of Jesus Christ," His Son. But we pray to our Father, the one true Father of us all.


Our first article of faith is, "We believe in God, the Eternal Father and in His Son, Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost."


Jesus prayed to our Father in Heaven: "O Father, glorify thou me… with the glory which I had with thee before the world was… That the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me… For thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.” John 17:5, 23–24.


He prayed:

“O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these [the disciples] have known that thou hast sent me. And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.” John 17:25–26. Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am.” John 17:24.


As He took upon Himself the sins and sorrows of this world Christ prayed:

“Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.”

Elder Robert D. Hales said of this sacred moment, "He was not talking to Himself or relying on His own strength. He was calling upon His Father, God Omnipotent, to sustain Him and allow Him to do His Father’s will; and His Father sent an angel “from heaven, strengthening him.”Luke 22:43.


Jesus testified all throughout His mission that He was about His "Father's business". Upon the cross when He was crucified, He said, "It is finished,”John 19:30 and “cried with a loud voice, … Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.” Luke 23:46


After Christ rose again from the grave and appeared to Mary Magdalene He said "Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." John 20:10–18 Later Jesus appeared to Stephen standing next to Heavenly Father. He also appeared to Joseph Smith standing next to His Father.
Our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are one in purpose, one in heart and one in mind, as we should be with them.... But they are separate, distinct and individual beings.


I know that we have an Eternal Heavenly Father. He is the Father of all of us. He is loving, He is powerful, He is merciful, He is Omnipotent, He is Eternal and it is to Him that we pray. Jesus Christ is His Son. Our Heavenly Father so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son. I know that it is through the Atonement of Jesus Christ that we are made free from sin and death and able to return to God.


"And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3: 14-16


As sure as I know we have a loving Heavenly Father Who hears and answers our prayers. I know we have a Savior, the Son of God. Who willingly submitted to the Father and "laid Himself on the alter" for our sakes, to pay our price. And because of Christ's sacrifice and resurrection, we can return to God. What a wonderful message, it gives me so much hope. I know this to be true!!

1 comment:

Shawie said...

What a profound post, Alicia^-^ We all practice different forms of prayer regardless of our own convictions and images of a God... that's very nice to learn some things from a child's perspective:))
Prayer as they say, is the awareness of strength and love impaired to us by the miraculous presence of the Hidden One whom we call, our God:))