Saturday, June 6, 2009

Nothing

Last night, my husband and I watched "Life After People" a History Channel Documentary. It shows theoretically what would happen to our planet if humans were to suddenly disappear. Fascinating stuff.

I found it very interesting that all man made things would eventually decay and disappear and the things made by God would thrive. It made me think of how powerless we really are as human beings and how much we take for granted.
This morning I woke up with this show still fresh in my mind.
I recalled the account where Moses spoke with God face to face...

"Moses looked, and beheld the world upon which he was created; and Moses beheld the world and the ends thereof, and all the children of men which are, and which were created; of the same he greatly marveled and wondered.

(below is a picture taken by the Hubble Telescope of galaxies... not individual stars but galaxies!!! ... and this is just a sliver of space!!!)
And the presence of God withdrew from Moses, that his glory was not upon Moses; and Moses was left unto himself. And as he was left unto himself, he fell unto the earth.
And it came to pass that it was for the space of many hours before Moses did again receive his natural strength like unto man; and he said unto himself: Now, for this cause I know that man is nothing, which thing I never had supposed."
Moses 1:8-10

The Prophet, Helaman compares man's power with God's power and states:

"O how great is the nothingness of the children of men; yea, even they are less than the dust of the earth. (Now you might think, that's a harsh thing to say....Why are we less than the dust of the earth? Helaman is not being rude here... he is just stating a fact. We are less than dust because of the principle of obedience.)
Helaman explains his point....

"For behold, the dust of the earth moveth hither and thither, to the dividing asunder, at the command of our great and everlasting God." (see God can command the elements including the dust to move and it does... most people don't move when God commands them to.)
If we are nothing then... where is the good news?

The good news is... to God we are everything... WHY?... because we are His children.

"And the Lord God spake unto Moses, saying: The heavens, they are many, and they cannot be numbered unto man; but they are numbered unto me, for they are mine.
And as one earth shall pass away, and the heavens thereof even so shall another come; and there is no end to my works, neither to my words.
For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."
- Moses 1:39

This is what our Father in Heaven works for! This is what He glories in and what He cares most about.... for His children to receive immortality and eternal life... and how is that obtained? Only in and through the atonement of our Savior, Jesus Christ. He makes it possible to all mankind.
We have no power without Him but the good news is that when we choose Him to guide us and let Him "Father us"... there is nothing that He will ask of us that we can't do.

When the angel Gabriel spoke to Mary. He promised Mary that "with God, nothing shall be impossible."- Luke 1:37

And the prophet, Ammon states:
"I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in His strength I can do all things." - Alma 26:12

This is just a little something I've been thinking about.

5 comments:

{leah} said...

We had an oppurtunity to go to Mt. Lemmon, and look through the telescope up there. Mt. Lemmon is the best places in the US to see the stars because of the clarity. It is truly amazing and it puts things in perspective as were we are.

It was amazing {highly recommend it!!}

Shawie said...

I had seen that documentary too. A very interesting thought to consider...
I really liked when you mentioned this: "most people don't move when God commands them to" and what amazes me the most is that God never stopped loving His creations despite their failures and weaknesses:))

Alicia said...

That is what is so amazing to me too. It is very humbling to think that little ol' me (LESS than dust) is precious enough that He would send His Son, even Jesus Christ, to atone for my sin, to show me truth and overcome death... making it possible for me to return to Him. It humbles me and I feel driven to be more than what I am today, to constantly strive to show in my small little way my love and reverence for my Father. It's immpossible to repay im...I fail all the time, I am weak, but He never fails me! I am so thankful for the blessing of repentance and forgiveness... for the Atonement of my Savior!

Alex Dan said...

Hey Alicia, it's Stacey.Wow, I think this is the first time I visited your blog. I love your thoughts and what you've done with your kids' blog. And the things you both have experienced and observed in your comings and goings. You've definately got me hooked. Thanks for keeping in touch. Tell everyone we say hi:)

kam said...

Wow! Alicia! This post gave me a great deal to think about. You have a solid understanding of the gospel. The Spirit is with you. Thanks for your insights my friend! :)