Sunday, August 2, 2009

Strength and Hope in the Midst of Trial

We sang this song in Church today and I cried all through it... the words are what I needed at this time. I have been struggling with an illness that the Dr.'s are still trying to figure out. I have anxiety over the "unknown" sometimes and it's baggage that I really don't need to carry. A wise person once said, "I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future." I just need to remember "peace be still" and know that it's all in God's hands.

I am so thankful for the power of prayer, for God's tender mercies, for the power of His word, the power of music and the comforting influence of the Spirit of the Lord.

"Master, the tempest is raging!The billows are tossing high!The sky is o'ershadow with blackness,No shelter or help is nigh;Carest Thou not that we perish?How canst Thou lie asleep,When each moment so madly is threateningA grave in the angry deep?

The winds and the waves shall obey Thy will,Peace, be still!Whether the wrath of the storm tossed sea,Or demons or men, or whatever it beNo waters can swallow the ship where liesThe Master of ocean, and earth, and skies;They all shall sweetly obey Thy will,Peace, be still! Peace, be still!They all shall sweetly obey Thy will,Peace, peace, be still!

Master, with anguish of spiritI bow in my grief today;The depths of my sad heart are troubledOh, waken and save, I pray!Torrents of sin and of anguishSweep o’er my sinking soul;And I perish! I perish! dear MasterOh, hasten, and take control.

Master, the terror is over,The elements sweetly rest;Earth’s sun in the calm lake is mirrored,And heaven’s within my breast;Linger, O bless├Ęd Redeemer!Leave me alone no more;And with joy I shall make the blest harbor,And rest on the blissful shore."


- Words by Mary A. Baker

4 comments:

kam said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you Alicia! Thank you for sharing your strength with others.

Alicia said...

Thank you Kambree! I have read several scriptures these last two days that have also help calm my fears.

Tony said...

God Bless whoever penned this hymn. And God Bless You, Alicia, in all your trials. I will be happy to pray for you :) Hope we can keep in touch.

3 Nephi is a great place to go to, for me anyways, when dealing with things. That, and the Psalms. I always have a newfound respect for David after I read them.

Shawie said...

Popping in say, "hello"...it's been a long time since I visited your blog, Alicia... and I'm so sorry to hear about your fears:( I would definitely feel the same way too... but I know you've got a strong faith and that you can sustain through these trying times. God invites us to come to Him and He'll give us rest. My prayers are with you and your family! God Bless!