Thursday, March 4, 2010

Meet Ramona

I've been blogging for a couple of years now and along the way I have met many wonderful people. Ramona is one of them. Ramona found my blog in Jan. this year and in return I found her blog. I have gotten to know her a little through emails and have enjoyed our correspondence very much. We share some southern ties. She grew up in the south and my grandma is a southern gal. Ramona and I both love gospel music. I learned to love gospel music from my mom.... (you see when my mom was growing up she belonged to the African Methodist Evangelical church in Wisconsin and that good old gospel music has never left her soul.)

Ramona has a very witty and fun sense of humor. (It must be the southern girl in her.) I think if we were neighbors I would like to sit on my porch and shoot the breeze with Ramona.

Our greatest bond we share is our love for the Restored Gospel. Ramona was kind enough to take the time and share her testimony with me and here she is letting me share it with you:

"I was baptized on Dec 29 2009. No small feat, considering that I had been assigned two in a series of headstrong Sister Missionaries. Sister Paulson and Sister Mulford were 2 of many, and 2 of only 4 missionaries that made it successfully through my front door.

My husband and I have been married for 10 years and I had noticed that people I didn’t know whose first names were always sister or brother would appear at our door. I wondered if my husband had long lost brothers or sisters he wasn’t telling me about. I also wondered how they found us. We would get calls from Elders and Bishop’s. My husband wasn’t very forthcoming on any info.

We moved again and then the Sisters and Brothers started to tag team. They would ask for Brother Gordy. I would ask, are you my husbands long lost brother? No one would talk. By the time Sisters Paulson and Mulford made it through my door, I wasn’t feeling too sisterly toward them, I thought they were trying to sell me something. I asked them why they came; they said “We came for you.” They also told me that my husband was a Mormon. Are you kidding, he never told me that. I figured that I would listen. I didn’t realize that they represented the Church.


I had always gone to church since I was a little girl. I was born in the South and church going is a way of life. My grandmothers help my reading skills by teaching me scriptures. I always went to church all the time. My grandmother was a serial church goer. She had memberships in at least 3 churches in 3 locations. Most of the time I accompanied her whether I wanted to or not. I discovered that if I could read the scriptures with the rest of the congregation I wouldn’t be bored. I was baptized when I was 8 years old. I decided all by myself. I wanted to go to heaven and meet God.

So, you can imagine my reluctance to be baptized again. The Sisters did their best to explain why I needed to do it again. (Article of Faith #5). One underlying reason for my reluctance was a fear of water. I told them that I would think about it. One Saturday we all went to the Visitors Center to watch a film about Joseph Smith. They seemed to always be talking about this man. They asked me if I knew of him. I said, of course. Everyone knew who he was. In Louisiana, where I am from, he was portrayed as an itinerant preacher who had got himself into trouble and was arrested, but he tried to break out of jail by shooting his way out. Of course I did relay this story quite innocently and with no malice. So we watched a film about Joseph Smith and the Restored Church. I have to say that was amazed at his story. I felt that I could identify with him as a child in search of the right church to go to. I was genuinely sad and angry that he was killed in such a way. Everyone was crying including me. I decided right there to agree to get baptized.

These are some of my favorite scriptures; this is my testimony. I did experience a mighty change of heart.

Alma 5: 12 and according to his faith there was a mighty change wrought in his heart. Behold I say unto you that this is all true.

13 And behold, he preached the word unto your fathers, and a mighty change was also wrought in their hearts, and they humbled themselves and put their trust in the true and living God. And behold, they were faithful until the end; therefore they were saved.

14 And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?

Luke 24: 32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

The Saturday I was baptized was the best day of my life. The Bishop of my church baptized me. As I was lowered into the water, time seemed to stop and when I came up I truly felt that all of my past sins had been washed away.

I love this Church and I know it is true. I believe that Joseph Smith was chosen as a Prophet to restore this church. I know I was born to be here in this time, right now. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ; Amen " - Ramona

1 comment:

RGG said...

Thank you Alicia. Thank you for being my friend.I am so glad we finally met, because I know now that we were supposed to meet.
Have a great day, I hope my testimony can help inspire others to at least "inquire if these things are true".
Ramona