Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Light at the End of the Tunnel

I'm starting to feel my old energy back again. I'm not quite up to par yet, but I'm getting there. It's such a relief to see a light at the end of the tunnel and know that it's not because I'm dying ha ha ha. My kids have all had some kind of throw-up bug all last week and I've been sick for 11 days, practically bed-ridden. I've had such violent coughing that I think I bruised my diaphragm. I seem to get bronchitis easily. I remember having it a lot as a child. I've never smoked before but when I was growing up some of my best friend's parents smoked... maybe I got a lot of second hand smoke then? I really don't know why I'm so susceptible to bronchitis? I'm just glad that I'm getting over it for this year at least.

There's a bunch of things I take for granted and health is one of those things. Man, when I'm old I hope I die quickly and not from some slowly deteriorating disease that drags out over 10 years... I can barely handle being in bed for 10 days!

2 comments:

RGG said...

Hi Alicia
I am so glad you are feeling better. I suffer from "seriously bad" respiratory infections that tend to skip years. I was told once that it's called"walking pneumonia". Any way, I am praying for you and I found some info about bronchitis. My mom had chronic bronchitis, and her dr's mananged it to the point where she seemed to only have periods where she would get sick at the onset of a season, usually the result of environmental allergies. You know I work in a hospital, but I am not a docter, but I will leave this info with you, and I know that you will continue to get better:

Bronchitis is inflammation of the main air passages to the lungs.

Bronchitis may be short-lived (acute) or chronic, meaning that it lasts a long time and often recurs.
Acute bronchitis generally follows a viral respiratory infection. At first, it affects your nose, sinuses, and throat and then spreads to the lungs. Sometimes, you may get another (secondary) bacterial infection in the airways.This means that bacteria infect the airways, in addition to the virus.(often called double pneumonia)

People at risk for acute bronchitis include:
The elderly, infants, and young children:Persons with heart or lung disease;Smokers(it takes a lot of second hand smoke to cause this)
The following things can make bronchitis worse:
Air pollution
Allergies
The symptoms of either type of bronchitis may include: Chest discomfort;Cough that produces mucus; if it's yellow-green, you are more likely to have a bacterial infection
Fatigue
Fever -- usually low
Shortness of breath worsened by exertion or mild activity:Wheezing

Even after acute bronchitis has cleared, you may have a dry, nagging cough that lingers for several weeks.

I am sure this is more that you wanted to know, but knowledge is power.
There is power in the priesthood,and I belive that the anointing of oil and the laying of hands, and the effectual ferverent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Amen
xoxoxo

Alicia said...

Very good info Ramona, thank you.
Some of my favorite books to look through at the library are books on biology, the human body, and medical guide books. So I enjoy reading your knowlege on it. :)

I am grateful for the calming feeling that comes from prayer, just knowing that God is aware of my needs and will make good things come of seemingly bad times.
My husband did give me a blessing a few nights ago and even though the illness is still lingering a bit, since his blessing I haven't had the intense, severe, violent coughing so much and have been able to rest easier.

My husband made me breakfast in bed this morning and has been very sweet. Yesterday he had to be at school for 15 hrs. but made sure to call me every 3 hrs. to check and see how I was doing. I think trials like these make me appreciate him more and we grow closer together.