Friday, December 7, 2007

Moromon or LDS?

I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Many people don't know that "Mormon" and "LDS" are only nicknames. When someone asks me what church I belong to I prefer to tell them the full name, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints." I want people to know that Jesus Christ is the foundation of my beliefs and maybe by hearing the name, "mormon" or "LDS" confuses people to think it's a church about Mormon or a church about Saints but it's not.... It's a church about Jesus Christ. He is at the very core and center of it's teachings.

I am so thankful for Jesus Christ. He is my personal Lord and Savior. I love Him and revere Him with all of my heart. I know that it is only through Him that I can be saved. I will praise and honor Him for the rest of my days.

When He was on the earth He taught us the straight and narrow way. He taught us to have faith in God. (Matt 4:17) He taught us to repent and be baptized in His name. (Mark 11:22, Matt 3:13-17) And to receive the comforter, the Holy Ghost to guide us through this life (John 20:21-22). Once we have done these things we must continue in this way. It is not a one time thing or just a Sunday thing... it is a pattern of living for our daily lives that we must endure to the very end.

One of my favorite scriptures in the Book of Mormon is: "After ye have gotten into this straight and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold I say unto you, Nay; For ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in Him, relying wholly upon the merits of Him who is mighty to save. Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward feasting upon the word of Christ and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life... And there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. (2 Nephi 31:19-21)

I don't have a problem with people calling me "Mormon" or "LDS"... just as long as they know that I am a CHRISTIAN.

1 comment:

sharon said...

I agree. Well said.