Sunday, March 2, 2008

Prodigal Son

Painting by:Clark Kelley Price

Today in Sacrament Meeting a young man got up and bore his testimony of the saving power of Jesus Christ. He said it had been 10 years since he had come to church and how grateful he was to be back. I didn't know him personally but was extremely touched by his pure and simple testimony. It made me recall the parables of the Prodigal Son, and the Lost Sheep in the New Testament and also the story of Alma, the younger, from the Book of Mormon. I felt like celebrating for this brave young man and to encourage him to "press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men"... and to "press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end." 2 Nephi 31:20

Jesus taught, "What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing." - Luke 15:4,5 "

"And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world. Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death. And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more. And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain! Yea, I say unto you,... that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy." - Alma 36: 17-21

I'm so proud of that young man who shared his beautiful testimony in church today. I feel a greater desire to reach out to those who are lost that they too may know the saving power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
God Bless You!
Alicia

No comments: