Sunday, May 4, 2008

Miracles

Increased prices at the pump... Grocery bills are doubling.... Value of the dollar is dropping....Our economy is facing some real tough times. And we, just like so many others, are feeling "the pinch."

Thinking of my husband going to school again full time and cutting back on his 40hr work week to accommodate his school schedule, having our forth child, moving to a new place.... all this has been, in my mind, somewhat frightening.... wondering how everything is going to add up. We are completely debt free and are trying to get scholarships to pay for school... but even with the scholarships we still have the cost of living, of taking care of our 3 little children and the 4th one on the way. I'm a stay-at-home mom (by my own choosing) and so my husband is the only source of income. This is all a leap of faith for us.

A couple of days ago I was reading in John chapter 6 where Jesus fed 5,000 people with only 5 loaves of bread and 2 fishes. Now, I've read this account and heard this story hundreds of times, it's one of my favorites. But reading it the other day, it came to me in a whole different light. After all the people were fed... Jesus sent out his disciples to gather up the fragments left over from the 5 loaves and 2 fishes..... wait a minute... what?.....The fragments? There was left-over??? Yes! 12 full baskets of crumbs.

You do the math... does that add up for you?
5,000 hungry people + 5 loaves + 2 fishes = the remainder of 12 baskets full of crumbs.
This brought to my mind the promise found in Malachi 3:10

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

For those of you who might not know what a "tithe" is :
It's 10% of all our income that we give to the Church for the purpose of sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ and building up the kingdom of God on the earth.

My husband and I have a firm testimony that this practice in our lives has brought forth amazing blessings... nothing short of miracles, in our lives. We have had many situations where we have looked through our own eyes, wondering how on earth everything would add up or come together.... only to turn it over to the Lord and watch miracle after miracle occur.

I came home from grocery shopping the other day and opened my fridge only to find I didn't have much room for what I just bought "there shall not be room enough to receive it, Alicia" came into my mind. I just smiled. I almost felt like crying. My heart was full of gratitude. "I don't have room for all these blessings," I thought. It was a fulfilment of the promise in Malachi and just like the 12 baskets left over when Jesus fed the 5,000.

I can't explain it. I don't know how He does it! All I know is that God loves us and is aware of each and every one of us. He delights to bless us! He is anxious to bless us! He wants to "prove it." He only asks us to follow Him, to apply His counsels and His teachings.... He wants to be #1 priority in our lives. I know that when we put God first.... amazing things happen. Miracles happen. He has helped us to be wise with our resources. He has helped us to discern between those things we need and those things we don't. He has blessed us with creative ideas of how to make things last longer.... and so on.

How thankful I am for such a Faithful Friend,
I know God lives, I know His Son, Jesus Christ, is my Savior and Redeemer.
I know He guides us through His Spirit and through Scripture.... and so many other ways.
He loves us and is anxious to bless us.
I trust Him and I will praise Him and thank Him every day!
"I am believing God, I am believing Christ."
I feel at peace.

God Bless You!
Alicia

2 comments:

CyberCelt said...

May the Lord continue blessing you and your family.

Alicia said...

Thank you Cybercelt! I don't deserve what I have. But where much is given, much is required... my blessings are not my own... I believe they are to be used wisely and for blessing and lifting the lives of those all around me.

I pray for heavens blessings to be poured out on you and your family as well. God Bless You! You are is precious daughter.