Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Help Defend the Family!

"...We warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society."- The Family, A Proclamation to the World- from the First Presidency and the Quorum of the 12 Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Published 1995



Last night my husband showed me a movie trailer to "Demographic Winter, the decline of the human family." I don't claim to be an expert on the population decline in European countries so I don't share this with the intent to have that as the focal point. The thing that strikes me most is they say there is a growing trend in western societies of people not wanting to have children or get married. No one wants to get married or have children because it is viewed as bondage or being "tied down". The other obvious problem is unnatural affection or gay relationships as in the times of Sodom and Gomorrah. This clip emphasises that the best thing for our nation and our economy begins in our home, in having healthy intact family relationships where a mother and father work together. This to me was just an echo of some things we have already been taught by prophets and apostles, ancient and modern.

I don't know what group made this movie. And again, I share it because it talks about the importance of building strong families with values and morals. This trailer is intriguing to me. It is very thought provoking... but I'm not saying it's "doctrine."
http://www.demographicwinter.com/ The family is under attack and we've got to find a way to stand up for it! We can't be silent in this war. I sometimes feel overwhelmed because I'm not exactly sure how to fight this battle. It's a battle much bigger than me, I pray my Father in Heaven will guide me along in this. I've got to do something... Whether it be signing petitions, casting a vote or most importantly, teaching my children morals, virtue, faith and strengthening the family ties that I have.

In my search to defend the family I have found these resources to inform me of what I can do.
http://www.unitedfamilies.org/

http://www.defendthefamily.com/

http://www.strengthenthefamily.net/

http://www.lds.org/hf/display/0,16783,4209-1,00.html
Here are some links to sites from various denominations that encourage defending the family please share these with as many people as you can. I believe it's vital!

God Bless You. And God Bless Our Families!
Alicia

7 comments:

Leah said...

VERY intresting!! I'll send this out to people that I know. It's sad that the family (the word, the idea and everything associated with it) is thrown to the side so casually. As the Nephites did... we will crumble from the inside if we are not strong enough to stand up for what is right.

McCulloughFam said...

I watched some of the trailer, but at the mention of the decline of people having children seems not to be happening this way (to me). So, I didn't finish it. I think that it's good to multiply and replenish the earth, but with some stern cognisance of reality. There are many children born into a world of starvation and lack of necessities. I believe married couples should have the children they can physically and emotionally afford and have the time to raise with morals and care for others and things. It's a mystery to me that there is a concern of population decline, but it seems like the population is growing out of control with limited resources left. If nothing else, I'll let the Lord work this one out.

Alicia said...

I totally and completely agree that if people are going to bring children into this world then they better dang well be willing to be responsible for them and make sure they can provide for their needs. I hope you have not been offended in any way. I realize this is a very sensitive issue. I don't claim to be an expert on the population decline in European countries so I don't share this with the intent to have that as the focal point. The thing that strikes me most is they say there is a growing trend in western societies of people not wanting to have children or get married. No one wants to get married or have children because it is viewed as bondage or being "tied down". The other obvious problems unatural affection or gay relationships as in the times of Sodom and Gomorrah. This clip emphasises that the best thing for our nation and our economy begins in our home, in having healthy family relationships where a mother and father work together. This to me was just an echo of what we have already been taught by prophets and apostles, ancient and modern. I totally respect your opinion though. Lot's of Love, Alicia

Tony said...

I totally agree with you on this Alicia. Even though it is a hard thing to do, we can do our best to defend our families with Heavenly Father's help.

These issues, however sensitive, need to be talked about thoroughly in my opinion. Of course, I am in no way trying to claim that I know everything about the topic, as I am only a 16-yr old boy after all :D

Alicia said...

Tony,
You are wise beyond your years.

Tony said...

Thanks Alicia. You had commented earlier that you wanted to know my covnversion story. The thought came to me that you should check out a site called youthtestimonies.com, and there is a link to it on my blog. My own testimony and many others are included on that wonderful site. I encourage you to look into it, and also to let any of your children know about it if they feel so obliged to share their testimony of the gospel on there.

Tony said...

Hi again, Alicia! Just letting you know that I posted my story and testimony in full on my blog today...please check it out!