Tuesday, December 2, 2008

In Loving Memory



In Loving Memory of Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles: 1917 - 2008

I am going to miss this giant of a man. His talks always fill me with hope, faith and a greater perspective of life. His sense of humor, wit, humility, faith and love is so inspiring to me. This is a man who lived what he taught! I love Elder Wirthlin! I will miss him.... I will miss him.

Here are a few excerpts from his last talk given in Oct. this year.

Come What May, and Love It

"Over the years I have learned a few things that have helped me through times of testing and trial. I would like to share them with you."

Learn to Laugh

"The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable."

Seek for the Eternal

"Because Jesus Christ suffered greatly, He understands our suffering. He understands our grief. We experience hard things so that we too may have increased compassion and understanding for others....Sometimes the very moments that seem to overcome us with suffering are those that will ultimately suffer us to overcome."

The Principle of Compensation

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude."

Trust in the Father and the Son

"He who descended below all things will come to our aid. He will comfort and uphold us. He will strengthen us in our weakness and fortify us in our distress. He will make weak things become strong... The simple secret is this: put your trust in the Lord, do your best, then leave the rest to Him"

"Come What May, and Love It:" Address Given by Elder Wirthlin at October 2008 General Conference

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, just letting you know I am still around! Sorry I haven't been on lately, we dont have internet at home right now.

Hope to get in touch soon!
And God Bless the great man Elder Wirthlin was. He will be missed.
Tony

Alicia said...

Oh good. I'm glad that you are still around. Take care!