Friday, January 9, 2009

"Ishmael, Our Brother"

War is such a complicated thing! We hear about terrorism on the news and so often the media associates terrorism with Arabs or Muslims... and I think that is just SAD!

Wherever you go you will find good people, honest and true people, responsible citizens, people who love their family's, who love God and practice virtue. You can find them in just about any culture, country, religion, these people are just like us. And on the flip side, you can find the opposite in just about every race, religion and background. The trouble comes when we label and generalize and say all people of that race are this, or all people of this religion are that. How sad when we cluster people like that and cynically brand them like a herd of cattle. Just because someone is Arab or because someone is Muslim does not make them a terrorist!

Many Arabs are peaceful, charitable citizens and have not chosen this war, they are victims too. The Terrorists are the Extremists and have grossly twisted their religion to fit their own agenda and create terror.

I have been doing some studying on Islam. It must be known that the name Islam means "peace." I have a very good and wonderful friend who practices Islam. I believe her religion is very sorely misunderstood as are many Arabs. The Koran teaches charity and doing good to all men. I can see this with my friends who are Muslim, I have been amazed at how incredibly charitable they are.

Last night I went to lds.org and searched "Islam"...

To my surprise I found a very long article from a 1979 Ensign entitled, "Ishmael, Our Brother". I was fascinated with it and it brought me some greatly needed incite. I hope you might take the time to read it to better understand our Muslim and Arab brothers and sisters.
Love,
Alicia

Here is a link to the article printed 30 years ago about Islam http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=68ea615b01a6b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1

3 comments:

Betty said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Betty


http://www.my-foreclosures.info
o

{leah} said...

This is a great post and I've gotten your emails too about this. And I think the biggest problem is ignorance. People are so quick to judge others because what is said about them whether in the news, or just rumors.

Alicia I really like your blog and am uplifed by it, Thank you.

Alicia said...

Leah thanks for your comment and Betty welcome! As you read along I hope you always feel comfortable visit here and share your opinions too. I hope this is a blog that encourages you and gives you hope in todays world.