Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Joseph Smith a Modern Day Prophet!


This is the second year we are studying the teachings of Joseph Smith in our Relief Society & Priesthood classes on Sundays. My testimony has grown so much of that man and I want to tell the whole world that I know with all my heart that Joseph Smith was a TRUE Prophet of God!!

We have often be accused that we worship Joseph Smith. Not only is this terribly false but it is completely contrary to what Joseph, himself taught. He would never allow it, in fact he would strongly condemn it.

Everything that has been revealed through that man has centered on Jesus Christ. The book of Mormon is ancient scripture that spans the time period of about 2200 B.C. to 400 A.D. here on the American continent. It's purpose is "the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations."- (Title page of the Book of Mormon.)

Joseph Smith restored the principles and ordinances of the Gospel of our Savior, namely baptism, sacrament (the Lord's supper), the Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthood, Prophets, Apostles ordained by those who hold the Priesthood and so on. Every single one of these are performed in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ. None of the sacred and holy ordinances make any mention of Joseph's name. So I don't understand why we are so falsely accused of worshiping him.

Maybe it's because he was born on the 23rd of December? Yes, we celebrate the day he was born....But do we not also celebrate the birthdays of other great men like Martin Luther King, President Washington and Abraham Lincoln?

I will not back down from my testimony of Joseph Smith for fear that people might think I'm not Christian. It is because of the teachings and revelations of this man that I have a testimony of my Savior in the first place. So I gladly sing "Praise to the man" because I know that he "communed with Jehovah, Jesus anointed that Prophet and Seer." I do not worship him but I most certainly honor him!!

“Salvation could not come to the world without the mediation of Jesus Christ.”- Joseph Smith

“The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it."- Joseph Smith

“Who, among all the Saints in these last days, can consider himself as good as our Lord? Who is as perfect? Who is as pure? Who is as holy as He was? Are they to be found? He never transgressed or broke a commandment or law of heaven—no deceit was in His mouth, neither was guile found in His heart. … Where is one like Christ? He cannot be found on earth.”- Joseph Smith

“The commandments of our Lord, we hope are constantly revolving in your hearts, teaching you, not only His will in proclaiming His Gospel, but His meekness and perfect walk before all, even in those times of severe persecutions and abuse which were heaped upon Him by a wicked and adulterous generation. Remember, brethren, that He has called you unto holiness; and need we say, to be like Him in purity? How wise, how holy; how chaste, and how perfect, then, you ought to conduct yourselves in His sight; and remember, too, that His eyes are continually upon you.”- Joseph Smith

"we feel to exhort our brethren with boldness, to be humble and prayerful, to walk indeed as children of the light and of the day, that they may have grace to withstand every temptation, and to overcome every evil in the worthy name of our Lord Jesus Christ."- Joseph Smith
I love Joseph Smith's testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ. He loved the Lord with every fiber of his being. I have included this link and encourage all my readers to visit here. They will find detailed accounts of Joseph's first vision, of his mission, of other witnesses and of his own personal testimony: http://josephsmith.net/josephsmith/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=497679179acbff00VgnVCM1000001f5e340aRCRD&locale=0
God Bless You!
Alicia



5 comments:

Cami Reschke said...

I, too, know that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. I have not always had the sure knowledge that I do now. So many things about his life seem strange or unbelievable, but I have let my desire to believe grow within me and the spirit witnesses to me that he is a man of God and that God has used him to restore the true gospel to the earth once again. Because of him, all the keys of the priesthood and the fulness of the gospel are again upon the earth, never again to be taken away. Things may become difficult and trying, but we have an assurance that truth and right WILL prevail. This gospel is true, and it brings me endless happiness.

Ellen said...

I suggest people read the Joseph Smith History in the Pearl of Great Price. I grew up learning about Joseph, but I had not read the History until I was well into my 20's and believe there are others who have not read it yet either. I love reading his words about all he experienced and sacrificed...it is history just like the Book of Mormon.

Alicia said...

You are right Ellen. The part of his history that has always strengthened my testimony is where he says:

"I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true; and while they were persecuting me, reviling me, and speaking all manner of evil against me falsely for so saying, I was led to say in my heart: Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision; and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation."

He had many more visitations than this first one he is talking about here. It is truly amazing, the way the heavens were open to him.

Here is a link to the Joseph Smith History Ellen is talking about:

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/js_h/1

josephus said...

This is a great post. I have to agree with you Alicia. It's a wonderful thing to know that God has called pephets again in our day. I love the prophet Joseph Smith for his powerful witness of the Lord Jesus Christ. Joseph Smith said for us to be able to exercise faith sufficient for salvation we need to have a correct understanding of His character and attributes. I thank God for the prophet Joseph Smith because I would not be able to come to Christ if it were not for his experience and the truths that were restored to the earth by a loving Heavenly Father. I also know he had the experience he said he had. My own witness is not the same as his, but it is just as sure - it is by the power of the Holy Ghost.

Alicia said...

When I first put up this post on Joseph Smith, I immediately got a comment from an anonymous person by the name of "j" about plural marriage. I deleted the comment but have since felt that this person deserves my answer...

Long before this person made their comment on my blog, I have wondered about this matter many times. Plural marriage was discontinued in my religion almost 120 years ago. It is not practiced in my religion today so It seems very foreign to me. Yet this issue has caused me serious reflection and much prayer. I don't claim to have the right answer and I am not an official spokesperson for my church...but there are some things that I do know:

I know that it has always been taught in my church that marriage is a very sacred union between a man and a woman, it is not to be taken lightly and it is ordained by God. I know we are to be law abiding citizens. I know that husband and wife are to cherish each other with sincere love and concern for each others welfare. I know that husband and wife are to be equal partners, neither one is better than the other. I know that it is wrong and a terrible sin to practice plural marriage today and members are excommunicated if they do so. I also know that many prophets in the Old Testament practiced plural marriage, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, Moses, and Solomon to name a few who all had many wives. Gen 25:6, Gen. 30: 4 (3-4), Ex. 21: 10 (1, 7-11), 1 Sam. 25: 43 (42-43), 2 Sam. 5: 13, 1 Kgs. 11: 3 (1-3) I know that this is only strange to western society. I know that the first commandment God gave to Adam and Eve was to multiply and replenish the earth "to raise up seed." I know that the greatest blessing God can give to anyone is children!! Psalm 127:3 And no matter what people say, I still know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God. I also know that we have a living prophet on the earth today, President Thomas S. Monson, who holds all the priesthood keys necessary to receive direct revelation from God and His Son Jesus Christ to govern, counsel and guide his children on the earth. I have happiness in this life, I have peace and I have been richly and most abundantly blessed from following the cousel of God's prophets and apostles who live today.