Thursday, April 2, 2009

Meek and Lowly

I listened to this talk today by Elder Neal A. Maxwell. I LOVE his talks!!! I feel a sense of purging every time I listen to him. He speaks so humbly and lovingly, always inviting the Spirit of the Lord to gently tutor me in that which I lack.

I am not a very humble person. I have alot of ugly, ugly pride... As I examine myself I can see where it is manifested quite frequently. It's embarrassing...but I am not depressed or discouraged for like Paul (2 Cor. 12 :10) I am grateful because of the Grace of Christ!


This below is just a snip from Elder Maxwell's talk. Take a look, mmmm this is good, good stuff!!


You can read the whole thing or listen to it free here http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=623 (I have added my own emphasis to the parts that struck me most.)


"The rigorous requirements of Christian discipleship cannot be met without the tutoring facilitated by meekness.

Happily, the commandment "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart" (Matthew 11:29) carries an accompanying and compensating promise from Jesus--"and ye shall find rest unto your souls." This is a very special form of rest. It surely includes the rest resulting from the shedding of certain needless burdens: fatiguing insincerity, exhausting hypocrisy, and the strength-sapping quest for recognition, praise, and power. Those of us who fall short, in one way or another, often do so because we carry such unnecessary and heavy baggage. Being thus overloaded, we sometimes stumble and then feel sorry for ourselves.

We need not carry such baggage. However, when we're not meek, we resist the informing voice of conscience and feedback from family, leaders, and friends. Whether from preoccupation or pride, the warning signals go unnoticed or unheeded. However, if sufficient meekness is in us, it will not only help us to jettison unneeded burdens, but will also keep us from becoming mired in the ooze of self-pity. Furthermore, true meekness has a metabolism that actually requires very little praise or recognition--of which there is usually such a shortage anyway. Most of the time, the sponge of selfishness quickly soaks up everything in sight, including praise intended for others.

Disciples are to make for themselves "a new heart" by undergoing a "mighty change" of heart (Ezekiel 18:31; Alma 5:12¬14). Yet we cannot make such "a new heart" while nursing old grievances. Just as civil wars lend themselves to the passionate preservation of ancient grievances, so civil wars within the individual soul--between the natural and the potential man--keep alive old slights and perceived injustices, except in the meek.

Is there not deep humility in the omnicompetent Christ, the majestic Miracle Worker, who acknowledged, "I can of mine own self do nothing" (John 5:30)? Jesus neither misused nor doubted his power, but he was never confused about its source, either. Instead, we mortals--perhaps even when otherwise modest--are sometimes quite willing to display our accumulated accomplishments, as if we had done it all by ourselves. Hence this sobering reminder:

And thou say in thine heart, My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth.

But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day. [Deuteronomy 8:17¬18]"- Elder Neal A. Maxwell

2 comments:

Shawie said...

Humility is really such a hard lesson to learn for me. I remembered telling my close friend that I am but God's servant and so I had to endure all the humiliations if I am to follow Him and her reply was more confusing and that God wouldn't allow that to happen. Maybe I just misunderstood her or we just disagree but keeping a meek and pure heart is the only way to free ourselves (in my own view).
Thanks for sharing such deep insights and I agree with you, Elder Neal's talk is very inspiring and thought-provoking:)
God Bless!

Shawie said...

Hi Alicia,
I understand my blog name is really uncommon and I'm so sorry...I didn't mean to call you "Alice"...thought it's your nickname, hehehe... just a little language barrier/cultural differences I guess...
happy Friday!:)