Friday, November 6, 2009

Anger and Ignorance

When I read the news and various comments from viewers I am saddened by so much anger. I don't care who is wrong or right in the conversation...... it makes me so sick to my stomach to see people lashing out at one another, accusing, scorning, mocking, name calling, swearing etc. Can't we all just get along!!! I see it among the Liberals, the Conservatives, religious, non-religious and among every race and color. There is no excuse to treat anyone (no matter who it is) there is no excuse to be so uncivilized whether online or in person!! And before we look around and point the finger we must first examine ourselves. There are times when I've reacted in anger or in sharp hurtful words and I'm not proud of it. I believe in forgiveness. I believe we can let go of perceived offences. I believe in redemption.


I just heard about the shooting in Fort Hood. This incident makes me very sad because the shooter was a so called "Muslim". Of course immediately following this news there are those who blame the religion of Islam for the shootings. But, Islam is not to blame for these violent acts. Ignorance and anger are to blame. These extremists are taught from a Koran that has been distorted, twisted and changed from it's original text thus in many cases excusing their violence in the name of God. They become fed a steady diet of lies that lead them far from the original teachings of Islam.

Terrorism isn't related to Muslims any more than it is to Christians. There are incidents where Christians have become ignorant to the doctrine of Christ and twisted His teachings to justify violence. Anyone is susceptible to causing terror.


On a smaller scale how often do we get in arguments with neighbors, family or friends when we don't have all the facts, when we jump to conclusions, when we gossip or twist words?
What does it do to us when we dwell on these injustices?
What does it do to us when we see only bad and close our eyes to any of the good around us?
This is where it starts.........If unchecked it leads to violence, misery and sorrow... destroying everything in it's path.

Last general conference our modern day Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson warned against anger.
He quoted the words of the hymn written by Elder Charles W. Penrose, who served in the Quorum of the Twelve and in the First Presidency during the early years of the 20th century:

School thy feelings, O my brother;
Train thy warm, impulsive soul.
Do not its emotions smother,
But let wisdom’s voice control.
School thy feelings; there is power
In the cool, collected mind.
Passion shatters reason’s tower,
Makes the clearest vision blind.


On another occasion he quoted this poem by, Bolton Hall:

'I looked at my brother through the microscope of criticism,
and I said, 'How coarse my brother is.'
Then I looked at my brother through the telescope of scorn,
and I said, 'How small my brother is.'
Then I looked into the mirror of truth and I said,
'How like me my brother is.


I pray for all of us, myself included, that we will
seek to understand more,
to get the facts,
to refrain from anger and cease idle words & gossip,
to find the good in our brothers and sisters
no matter what our political view, religious view, cultural background or however different we might me.
No one accomplishes anything by tearing down another human soul.
Let us build each other.
We are all brothers and sisters.
We are all children of the same God.
Let's be civil.
Let's be kind.
I pray for peace.
Oh how I pray for peace.

5 comments:

Tony said...

Thank you so much for this post.
All I can say is:
Amen!

Evening Nigh said...

It's so nice to see people of one religion reaching out to another --trying to break through that wall of hatred. I've enjoyed listening to your music.

oranglidi said...

"I believe in forgiveness."

me too!

peace no war.

Grayscale said...

I believe in seeing the good in people and empathizing the values they believe in, whether or not we agree. Too many things in life are hard to define or justify, especially when dealing with matters beyond self. The best that we can do is always to understand that there is good in this world created for us, and that it is part of our life journey to seek this good, before we return to our creator. I think if everyone can amass the fact that even the worst of the persons in our world has that bit of good to love his or her mother, or dote on his or her child, then we can start to see some grace put before us in this world.But it is easier said than done. Yet I believe.

Alicia said...

Thank you everyone for your comments!

Grayscale, you put it in words so beautifully.
I too believe there is good in everyone. It is given unto us to seek out that good and bring it to full fruition by nourishing, strengthening and helping souls realize their worth, their purpose and potential. Thankyou for your comments.