Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Empty Tomb

Back in 2007 my husband and I had the privilege of traveling to Jerusalem. One very memorable experience there was at the Garden Tomb. As we stood upon the ground where our Lord had conquered the grave and rose from the dead we offered a prayer of gratitude for the power of redemption made possible by Jesus Christ. Then we sang one of my favorite hymns, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives." As we sang, the Spirit bore a powerful witness to our hearts that Jesus Christ does live, that it is through Him we are Saved and redeemed from death both that of the physical and death of the spiritual. How grateful I am on this Easter day and every day for my beloved Savior, my Exemplar, my Shepherd and my Friend. He loves us. He shows us the way to our Father because He is the way, the light and the truth... HE LIVES!

The following passages are from John chapter 19 and 20

"Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.

41 Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid.

42 There laid they Jesus therefore because of the Jews’ preparation day; for the sepulchre was nigh at hand.

The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

2 Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.

3 Peter therefore went forth, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre.

4 So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.

5 And he stooping down, and looking in, saw the linen clothes lying; yet went he not in.

6 Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,

7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

8 Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed.

9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.

10 Then the disciples went away again unto their own home.

11 ¶ But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,

12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.

13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.

14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.

15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.

16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.

17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.

7 comments:

RGG said...

Hi Alicia
What a wonderful post. I really love that picture of you and your husband at the opening of the tomb. I would love to visit Jerusalem. I watched a show about the Shroud of Turin. For years people have been trying to put Jesus on that shroud. I was touched by one of the scientists who professed great faith in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He created a computor simulation of what "the body" of the man on the shroud would look like. This scientist used the Gospels as reference.When he realized that the body placed on that shroud had been so badly beaten, he could not control his tears and sorrow. I prayed for this scientist that someone would say to him, He is not on that shroud, he has risen and sits a the right hand of the Father. Wipe your tears, he has risen and He loves you.
I am so glad that I am a child of God.
Ramona

Alicia said...

I have heard of that shroud before, I think I know the one you are talking about. The witness of the Scriptures, the Prophets and of the Holy Ghost are the greatest proof of our Redeemer.

I love the simple testimony that Joseph Smith gave of our Savior in these last days, "And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of Him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of Him: That he lives! For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that He is the Only Begotten of the Father— That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God." D&C 76: 22-24

This is the good news and we can lift up our heads and rejoice!

Alicia said...

my typing was a bit too quick. All those "h"'s in "him" should be capitalized and read "Him". sorry about that.

Warren Baldwin said...

I'm reading this 2 weeks after Easter, but it is still pertinent and powerful. Great job.

You visited one of my blogs (Bible Fountain) some time back. Can't recall if I responded. Sorry 'bout that. The Family Fountain blog (with articles about family) notifies me of comments; the Bible Fountain blog didn't, so I didn't always catch them. I now have blog owner approval up so I can tell when someone has left a comment.

Enjoyed the visit here.

Lydia said...

Hi Alicia, nice blog & good snap. You have beautifully maintained it, you must try this website which really helps to increase your traffic. hope u have a wonderful day & awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

Alicia said...

Thanks Warren and thank you Lydia.

Warren you are a very wise man and I enjoy your blog.

Lydia you have a real gift for photography. I enjoyed seeing some of your work. Great job!

gamp777 said...

God Answers Prayer
http://www.godansweredmyprayer.com
Prayer Request