Thursday, January 10, 2008

I am thankful for God's tender mercies.

My heart is somewhat heavy today. I am thankful for a loving Father in Heaven who I can address through my Savior, Jesus Christ. Sometimes the trials I face can strike a hard blow and tempt me to feel discouraged in life, discouraged in circumstance but mostly discouraged in myself. I find solace and comfort in the quiet moments of prayer where I know that God sees all and knows all and still loves me. He manifests that love through the ultimate sacrifice of sending His only perfect and sinless Son to ransom me from my failings, to redeem me from my sins, to comfort me through trials and offer His complete forgiveness. Oh how my heart is filled with gratitude for His mercy, His patience and His great compassion... it compels me to follow, I want to "pay it forward" in my small little way, it inspires me to love others as He has loved me. I am so thankful for the tender mercies of the Lord and the quiet moments of peace through prayer.

The following is one of my favorite poems by Roy Campanella. It's about God's love and wisdom. I know He hears and answers prayers and ultimately knows what is best for us I know that each of us are so precious to Him and His love for us knows no bounds... of this I am eternally grateful!

"I asked God for strength, that I might achieve.
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey...
I asked for health, that I might do great things.
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things...
I asked for riches, that I might be happy.
I was given poverty, that I might be wise...
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God...
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life.
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things...

I got nothing I asked for but everything I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among men, most richly blessed!
- Roy Campanella

No comments: