Friday, October 3, 2008

Gratitude: A Sign of Maturity

A grateful person is so inspiring to be around. Ever notice how uplifting it is to talk to someone who focuses on all the blessings they have? It's contagious! One of the sisters in my church has this wonderful quality. Her name is Cami, she's amazing and I love her dearly.

Anyway, I am reading about the virtue of gratitude in my book "Standing for Something." I thought I would share a few things that Gordon B. Hinckley writes:


"Gratitude is a sign of maturity. It is an indication of sincere humility. It is a hallmark of civility. And most of all, it is a divine principle. I doubt there is anything in which we more offend the Almighty than in our tendency to forget His mercies and to be ungrateful for that which He has given us."
"Where there is appreciation, there is also courtesy and concern for the rights and property of others. Without these, there is arrogance and evil. Where there is gratitude, there is humility instead of pride, generosity rather than selfishness."

"When we walk with gratitude, we do not walk with arrogance and conceit and egotism, but rather with a spirit of thanksgiving that is becoming to us and will bless our lives. We should all be thankful to the Almighty for His wonderful blessings upon us."

"Gratitude is of the very essence of worship - thanksgiving to the God of Heaven, who has given us all that we have that is good."

"Above all else, I am grateful for my belief in God and in His Beloved Son, the Redeemer of the world, the Lord Jesus Christ of the New Testament. In all of human history there is nothing to compare with the Savior's gracious gift of atoning sacrifice."

4 comments:

Tony said...

After having the day I have had, there is one thing I am grateful for, and that is this blog. Thank you so much for such inspiring posts and uplifting music. The song "you raise me up" really gave me the lift I needed today. Thank you alicia, and I hope you enjoy General Conference.

P.S. Jars of Clay, Enya, and Third Day? You have AWESOME taste!

Alicia said...

Thanks Tony! I love the song "you raise me up" too. It makes me think of my Savior, Jesus Christ. He decended below all to raise me above all inculding despair, depression and self disdain... He is the ONLY way I can make it through the dark days and the ONLY way that helps me truly appreciate the good days. Music helps me express my soul. I prefer the kind of music that inspires me to become more and instills a love for life.
Speaking of good days, I WILL enjoy General Conference!!! This is my favorite, favorite time of year!!! I'm takin' notes!

Tony said...

I hope you did enjoy it...I especially enjoyed the Primary Choir...like a little MoTab they were...speaking of which, there is a song I think you would enjoy that you might want to listen to:
Be Still For The Presence Of The Lord...it makes me think of what it might be like when He comes...

http://www.libera-voices.org/concert.html
if you go to this link and go to where it says the song, you should be able to see two blue underlined words next two it: m3u and wm...you can listen by clicking those. And of course, there are many other songs on that site you may enjoy...all from Libera, of course :D

Hope you have a spectacular week!

Alicia said...

checked out the site Tony. Beautiful music! I can see why you like Libera so much! Thanks for sharing.