Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Abundant Life

During the Christmas Season I often ponder upon what makes a person rich? In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus taught us to lay up for ourselves "treasures in heaven." What are treasures in heaven and how do we obtain them?

Jesus of Nazareth also observed in his teachings the following:
"I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” (John 10:10.)

And this next promise Jesus gave is recorded four times in the New Testament:
"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."

"The abundant life, of course, has little to do with the acquisition of material things, though there are many wonderful individuals who have been blessed materially and who use their wealth to help their fellowmen—and this is most commendable. The abundant life noted in the scriptures is the spiritual sum that is arrived at by the multiplying of our service to others and by investing our talents in service to God and to man. Jesus said, you will recall, that on the first two commandments hang all the law and the prophets, and those two commandments involve developing our love of God, of self, of our neighbors, and of all men. There can be no real abundance in life that is not connected with the keeping and the carrying out of those two great commandments." - Spencer W. Kimball

"If we would truly reform mankind, we must first reform ourselves." - Spencer W. Kimball

Just something to think about....

How thankful I am for the example of perfect selflessness and charity of my Savior!

the quotes in this post are clips from a talk entitled, "The Abundant Life" originally given in 1977 by President Spencer W. Kimball (Prophet of God from 1973 -1975)

2 comments:

Grayscale said...

I asked for Strength, God gave me Difficulties to make me strong.
I asked for Wisdom, God gave me Problems to solve.
I asked for Prosperity, God gave me Brain and Brawn to work.
I asked for Courage, God gave me Danger to overcome.
I asked for Love, God gave me troubled people to help.
I asked for Favors, God gave me Opportunities.
I received nothing I wanted, but I received everything I needed

Trust in God.

Alicia said...

That's very beautiful Grayscale. It reminds me of one of my favorite poems by Roy Campanella. In fact I was just thinking about that poem today... I think about it often. It's so true. Thanks for stopping by. :)