Tuesday, January 4, 2011

By Study and by Faith

Winter semester started today. My husband is nervous because his classes are very intense and require long laborious hours of study and homework, leaving very little time for him to work to provide for our cost of living. Really, if it were not for the financial help from his parents while he is in school, I don't know where we would be? We also have food stamps which is something I absolutely have been against but I don't know what else to do?

One thing I do know is that he is supposed to be in school right now. He kicks himself for waiting so long to get his Bachelors Degree but I'm proud of him for having the courage to finish his schooling at this stage in our life! He knows he's in the right place too. He has had wonderful opportunities to work with different professors in Astronomy, Physics and now Planetary Geology. Each professor highly admires Joseph and have written excellent letters of recommendation for his internship this summer.

I don't know where we are going in the next few years. Perhaps we will stay here for another 4 until he gets his Masters? My oldest child will be turning 14 then... that's crazy for me to think about!! Most likely we will move somewhere across the United States. His dream is to work for NASA and I would love to see him achieve that dream.

There is no doubt in my mind that our Heavenly Father has guided us to where we are and is continuing to guide us where we need to be. It's very exciting. I've seen so many miracles in the 11 yrs. of our marriage. Prayer and faith have been a daily part of our journey. Monetarily, I don't like depending on anybody, I have had to humble myself and except a little financial help here and there. But I know that when all is said and done, when Joseph finally finishes school, we will then be in a position to help someone else in their journey.

I want it to be very clear that I have never cared for lots of money. I told my husband when I married him that I would be happy to live in a tiny house and live a very simple life. I don't care for manicures, matching purses and shoes, name brand clothes or name brand anything for that matter. And I think it's wonderful that my kids are content with paper, markers, books and their imagination... so spending money on toys has never been a problem either. It's wonderful! I like the simple life because it helps me treasure the simple things!

I am very excited for my husband to be successful and achieve his dream, not for money but for the sheer thrill of saying that he did it, he got his degree, he accomplished something that he didn't feel he was capable of doing.

I have no doubt that when he finishes up his schooling we will have opprotunities to make very good money. I'm sure it will be nice but at that time, I never want to lose sight of the happiness I have found in simplicity, hard work, prayer, faith, humility and trust in God...because money can't buy any of these things.

4 comments:

RGG said...

Hey Alicia
Happy New Years,its so good to hear from you again,you are missed.
I love your attitude and outlook on life. I have been measuring my own outlook on life by my faith. I have depended heavily on the promises of God. One in particular,says that we have been given all things that pertain to life and Godliness. If that is so then our faith motivates the receipt of all things.
I like the breakdown of Phillippians 4:11-13 in the Amplified Bible:

Philippians 4:11-13 (Amplified Bible)
11Not that I am implying that I was in any personal want, for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am.
12I know how to be abased and live humbly in straitened circumstances, and I know also how to enjoy plenty and live in abundance. I have learned in any and all circumstances the secret of facing every situation, whether well-fed or going hungry, having a sufficiency and enough to spare or going without and being in want.
13 I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who [b]infuses inner strength into me; I am [c]self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency].
Wow!!
I suppose that when we can come to a state of believing and exercising of a measure of faith in God,we can endure all things,
1 Corinthians 13:7-8
(LOVE)7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails.....

You and your family are doing better than you realize. You're great. Just think about the widow who ministered to Elijah, her little oil pot never went empty.
Alicia you are the greatest. You are absolutely in my prayers,at home,in the temple.
Ramona

Alicia said...

You make some wonderful points Ramona. I love your insights! Thanks for your faith and prayers too. I feel extremely blessed!

Alicia said...

P.S. I love your attitude and outlook on life!!

Leah said...

We are in the same boat. When I read this I'm pretty much reading our story. I'm happy that Steve is doing what he enjoys but it is hard to struggle so much. We too are using food stamps and while I am grateful it is very humbling.

I too have never been real interested in money but I do look forward to the day when I can just go out and buy a pair of pants because my last pair has a hole in it. :)

Thank you always for your insight. I love your honesty and real self that you write about.

you are loved!